As a small business owner, I sometimes wonder what I have gotten myself into. Can you relate? I have been an entrepreneur for many years and I have struggled to keep myself positive and proactive even in the face of major adversity. I thought nothing bad could happen to me, until it did. I had a successful business then on August 23, 2005, my business was gone. Why do I remember that day? It was the day Hurricane Katrina hit my hometown, New Orleans, Louisiana.
From that day forward, I had to rebuild my business what I was doing was no longer a viable option to me. Can’t happen to you? Well I said the same thing. Here are some stunning statistics:
- The number of businesses that fail following a natural or man-made disaster.
- The number of small to medium-sized businesses that have a comprehensive disaster recovery plan. **
- Number of small business owners who believe a disaster could seriously disrupt their business within the next two years. ***
- Number of Americans who have experienced at least one emergency situation involving lost utilities for at least 3 days, evacuation from their home or office, loss of communications with family members or had to provide first aid to others.****
With those statistics, I began to understand that many times business owners, like me, needed both help and advice to keep their businesses operational. So I became the founder and Managing Partner of The Resiliency Institute, LLC (TRI). TRI is a full service consulting firm specializing in comprehensive solutions for small/medium size businesses (SMBs), understanding the role they play in community preparedness and resiliency.
*Insurance Information Institute,
**Gartner, ***American Red Cross and FedEx Small Business Survey, 2007,
****American Red Cross/Harris Poll Survey, 2009.
Bonnie is a proud native of New Orleans and has experienced what she calls, “The Katrina, Rita, Ike, Gustav, and BP Oil Spill” disasters first hand. She has had to learn how being resilience leaders to increased performance, achieve stronger relationships, and build mental toughness that we all need in today’s ever increasing busy world.
Latest posts by Bonnie Canal (see all)
- Resilient Action Items, Resilience Roundup: November 15, 2019 - November 15, 2019
- Resilient Action Items, Resilience Roundup: November 9, 2019 - November 8, 2019
- Resilient Action Items, Resilience Roundup: October 25, 2019 - October 25, 2019